To My Peanut

The start of a Blog, the start of a new life

Friday, August 05, 2005

Documentation of my one year old


I don't say my daughter is bright, smart and very adorable just because she's my daughter, but I really think she is and a lot of people are surprised she's only 1 year old, she's developing great and she's so cute!

She goes through these little fazes where she calls everything the same name, now she calls everything a "bus", seems like she really liked the word, she used to call a bike a bike and a car a car, but now everything is a bus. Anything that looks like a ball or balloon she'll call it "bola" (Portuguese) or balloon, balloon is another one of those words she can't stop saying. She grabs her grandfather’s hand and says "I see tractor", wanting him to go show her the tractor outside and after she's seen it or when she wants to see it she might say "I see, I see" or "tractor". She extends her arms upwards and says "up, up" wanting us to pick her up. She grabs her nappy and says "bin" and takes it to throw away. She grabs my hand and takes me to the kitchen for me to give her something to snack and says "mam-mam" (instead of nam-nam) or she might call something to eat "bombom" (Portuguese). If she feels something cold she'll says it's cold. If her shoe falls off her foot she says "shoe shoe" and when it's time to put on her socks and shoes she says "sock" or "shoe shoe". When we go outside she says "flower" all the time and looks up at a tree and says "tree". Whenever she sees a dog or a cat she'll open her eyes so wide and get so excited, and then she might call them "dog" (in English or Portuguese) or "cat" or say "auf" or "miau". She loves looking at books, she'll sit for a while just paging through. Sometimes I'm watching TV while she's playing and she'll come sit on the couch (which is low enough for her) or she'll come sit on my lap. She recognizes people and calls them by their names or recognizes names and points to the people. She loves eating apples! She hasn't managed to swallow the peel yet, she nearly chokes on it, so when she's done chewing the apple off the peel we ask her to give and she'll spit it out in our hand. She's got this habit now to scream, not because she's angry or anything, I think she likes to hear what her voice can do, especially when there's an echo. She is a bit naughty and stubborn sometimes, but I'm trying my best to show her discipline without spanking or hitting her hand. If a person pretends to cry she'll show sympathy and rub our face or hair and when we say to her "make nice" she'll rub our hair. She knows where her bum is, and she sounds so cute saying "bum". If we ask her what's this or what's that, she'll call it by it's name, if she doesn't call it bus or any other name she enjoys saying. She'll point to a parked car or bike or even a toy car and say "brrrmbrrrrm". If we ask her to smell something, like her feet, our feet or anything else, she'll squish it against her nose and pull a face then say "pooooooo". I watch her playing with her toys and laugh, she plays with her baby doll and smells its feet and says "pooo", gives it a kiss, rubs its head or gives it a hug. She'll pretend to drink something from a closed bottle making a drinking sound and when she drinks something, after a sip she might go "ahhhhh". She tries to speak on the phone or pretends to speak on the phone. If she feels something cold she'll say it's cold. When I fetch her after work she doesn't want to leave and she says "mo" instead of "no". At night she'll look up to the sky and say "moon" or "star". It seems like she says "I love you", but I'm not really sure if it is. She says "olha vê" which is very Madeiran, it's more or less "look see", or she can just say "olha". If she tries to call the dog she'll pat on her leg or the floor for it to come. She's noticed that when people open a little packet of sugar, they shake it first, so she shakes it and tries to open it. She knows the remote control changes channels and so she presses anywhere while she points it to the TV, she's mixed up all the channels a few times and had it in a weird language twice! She loves playing on the computer keyboard, which isn't very good when the computer is on... She points to her or our noses or mouth and says nose or mouth in her cute little way and sometimes mixes the words nose and mouth. If she sees someone sleeping she'll go "ssshhh" and put her finger to her mouth. If we ask her "give me five" she'll put up her hand so we can give her 5. If she hears people clapping hands, even if it's on TV, she'll also clap her hands and if we ask her to clap feeties, she’ll clap her feet. When I make bubbles with my hand for her while she's bathing, she doesn't want to touch it because she knows it will pop. I can't think of anything else to write about Kayla, but I'll back here soon!

I know being too advanced for your age isn't good either, but I believe stimulation is good, I'm going to always try and treat her her age, children's jobs are to play, not to be adults. All I can do is take one step at a time, enjoying every moment, a person never knows what could happen next and time goes by so fast, so I want to be able to look back with a smile on my face and say "Those were good days".

1 Comments:

At 9:23 PM, Blogger Sunshine said...

Children do take things in like sponges... it´s incredible to see how amazingly bright Kayla has grown, it seems like just yesterday you were walking around with a big stomach...
I´m glad you´re taking all this down, all these moments, all these memories... they sometimes fade or haze with time and they´re truly time´s best treasure... for both the little girl that will one day grow up and for the mother who relives them when reading back.
Good Job Quich, keep at it!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home